SailNet Community - View Single Post - New to sailing - Sunfish for $250?
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2011

DanielF is on a distinguished road
New to sailing - Sunfish for $250?

About a year ago I had the chance to go sailing on a 32' sailboat on Lake Michigan. Now, only a year later, I randomly came across some free Sunfish hulls. While I missed this deal, it led to a lot of research because I had no idea I could get started in sailing for under a thousand bucks.

Jump ahead a week or two to yesterday...

I was frustrated with missing all the $300 boats by mere hours because they go so quick. So I posted a wanted ad, which turned up a $250 boat from 197x, and the best part is that it's at one of the local lakes. Yesterday I went and took a look, and it seems to be in great condition. It has a cockpit storage area and the newer rudder / tiller, and the only damage is a pinky finger sized hole on the transom, which has been properly repaired with fiberglass. The sail is original but good, with no holes or tears (it was always stored indoors). The boat was purchased by the current owners three years ago and used the past two seasons. I didn't bring a scale to weigh the hull, but I was able to drag it, flip it over and lift each end with somewhat ease.

Should I buy this or wait for another? I'm going back in a week with a friend who used to race these so we can have a good look at everything, so I'm curious what to look out for, check, etc.

Thanks!
Daniel
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0341-small.jpg (82.4 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0340-small.jpg (76.9 KB, 133 views)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook