SailNet Community - View Single Post - What is the average value of Sailnet members boats (poll)
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2011
Boatswain

IronSpinnaker is on a distinguished road
What is the average value of Sailnet members boats (poll)

As I have been wandering around boatyards this year I am noticing a lot of boats on the hard with for sale signs on them. Many are older boats and in the less then 10K price range. It got me thinking about what the average price of a water ready boat is in todays economy. The best way I can think of to find out would be to poll a group of people with sailing ready boats.

I think that one reason there are so many boats in the less then 10 K range is because buyers have a lot of options for boats in the 30 or so year old range. Many are great boats and worth well more then the asking price, but everybody is competing with all the other boats of the same vintage that are available.. Post the 1970 I think sailing became less popular and there are many fewer boats available in the 80s and 90s model years. As more and more 70s and earlier boats get scrapped in another decade or so we will see a rise in used boat prices as supply slacks off and starts to match demand.

So if you own a boat that is in the water and sailing regularly, and you were to sell it in todays market. What do you think you could sell it for? Fully understanding that we all think our own stuff is worth more then what it actually is; Lets see some numbers.