SailNet Community - View Single Post - What is the average value of Sailnet members boats (poll)
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2011

pinayreefer is on a distinguished road
I didn't own a boat, so had the advantage that I didn't have to sell a boat before buying one. I paid what I voted, and it was cruise ready. There were 6 others of the same genre but cheaper that needed work so I passed on those.
Since it appears that you are trying to figure out how much a boat will cost if you get one, I can offer this since I tried to squeeze that info out of this site too, but realistically, every deal is different and every boat and seller is different, with a number of drivers that influence the price they are willing to take. For me, after looking nearby and beginning to range farther afield as I couldn't find what I wanted in reasonable shape, and observing what listings were, I made an offer on a boat sight unseen (contingent on personal inspection, survey and sea trial) that was too far to go look at without knowing what I'd have to pay. I low-balled (50% of asking) to see what would happen and we ended up agreeing on a 25% of list price. After inspection it turned out to be so much better than any of the other boats I looked at that I felt I got a good deal. Survey was clean and I'm leaving tomorrow to sail it back across the Gulf to it's new home. None of the other boats I saw would I have done that with.
My opinion is that it's a buyers market, decide what you will spend and then find the best boat you can get for that money, and knowing that the boat you want will be something less than the listing price. I was lucky (and researched a lot and looked at a ton of boats) and would have been willing to offer on more than only one boat before I found what I wanted at a price I could pay.
First, decide what you want!

Last edited by pinayreefer; 06-24-2011 at 06:17 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook