SailNet Community - View Single Post - Please Help Me Choose a Boat!
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2006

JEdwards is on a distinguished road
Please Help Me Choose a Boat!

Hello all,

This is my first post (I joined last night, but have been reading for a while).

I have been researching for quite a while and just when I thought I had it narrowed down to two (thanks to all of your comments to others!) a third popped in last night. So, here we go...

The two in top contention (and I will be living aborad, but sailing long distance) are the new:

Tartan 3700
Beneteau 423

Here's what I've pretty much gotten from all of you per your comments to others. The Bene will fall apart if I use it as a long-distance cruiser and not as an "RV on water".

The Beneteau:

-I prefer the interior.
-I prefer the non-V-berth stateroom
-2 heads and showers! (that's big for me for long-distance with guests).
-I can safely assume the company will be around for a while so parts, etc. won't be an issue.

The Tartan:

-Greatly prefer the exterior. Gorgeous.
-I have heard it is far more sturdy for actual use.
-Only one head.
-V-berth.
-From the photos, it looks like one would smack their head if they sat up in bed.
-Non-slip, sand colored non-slip panels on deck. Teak may look nicer, but this is close and safer. However, will the panels be replaceable should Tartan go under?

Okay, all of that said...

Then I find the X-Yachts X-37. Great exterior, somewhere between the Bene and the Tartan. 2 heads w/showers and no v-berth. So, it seems perfect, but not enough reviews or comments to know how well it will hold up, what flaws it has, etc.

No sugar coating needed, all comments welcome. Thank you very much. I look forward to meeting all of you.

-James
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook