SailNet Community - View Single Post - North to the Broughtons
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2011
Hmmm

Bilgewater is on a distinguished road
Good work Jack and thanks.

I just want to add a few of my own observations. Although I completely agree with you Jack, there are ways to get through Beazley and the upper rapids in one shot in some circumstances but it all depends on the strength of both the ebb and flood. I do it quite often but you need to carefully watch the current tables. This is based on a vessel that can make 5+ kts...If you can make way using the back-eddies up to and through the Dent rapids against a flood 15 minutes to a half hour or so ahead of the turn to ebb you will generally make the lower rapids on a bit of an ebb. After making your way through the lower rapids on an ebb and if it feels a bit uncomfortable, you can make your way around the top of Okis Island and avoid much of the current associated with the upper rapids and if need be you can duck into Barnes Bay and wait it out a bit. But be aware that Barnes Bay can have some pretty substantial currents of it's own but the holding is quite good and the Ling Cod fishing is awesome. I definitely wouldn't do this during any big tides.

Seymour Narrows...I like using Seymour Narrows because for me, it's a direct and fast route but Johnstone Strait can get a little nasty at times, particularly just south of Kelsey Bay. But you'll get an indication of what's coming up at Chatham Point and again at Ripple Point. It's usually pretty good in the summer but in any case you can always anticipate problems and duck out at numerous spots. I generally leave Campbell River/Cape Mudge one hour or so before the turn to ebb and on a good strong ebb I will get a real good push all the way up to Kelsey Bay. Monitor traffic on channel 71 because you will inevitably find yourself amongst quite a bit of commercial traffic going both North and South through the narrows at the turn.

The Broughton's are what I think are some of the best cruising grounds around with few boats and good weather at this time of year.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Impulse III
Truant Pilothouse

Last edited by Bilgewater; 06-25-2011 at 04:02 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook