SailNet Community - View Single Post - Going to look at a boat thats been sitting.
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
The Viking 33 is a C&C design.. and will be somewhat similar to the early C&C 33 but they are different boats. Ontario Yachts (builders of the Viking boats) have a great reputation. Solid glass (uncored) hull and cored decks, typical of the era.

They are pretty boats that will go to weather well, but of the "big headsails/skinny main" persuasion and will require careful headsail decisions in a breeze downwind. Smaller accommodation than many others, esp by today's standards but I think it's a boat you might enjoy, and it'll likely be a bit of a bargain as long as you're up to the required TLC.

We sailed a Viking 28 with similar lineage for 10 years and still have a soft spot for that boat. Pretty, strong, manageable and dependable.

After such a long layup you'll be correct to look carefully for signs of neglect and to try to separate the cosmetic from the critical. An out-of-the-water survey should find most issues; as you say, other issues require splashing. You will definitely be required to pay for any launch/lift that you may need but the good news is you won't/shouldn't need a powerwash to properly inspect the hull. A launch would be necessary for the seatrial so that's in the cards in any event.

Hopefully if things go well you can survey, launch, seatrial and carry on, avoiding a second lift/launch. However I suspect that there will be several days work between splashing and sailing off so some moorage fees will be involved as well.

Another thought... are defaulted storage fees part of the equation?

After all this time I suppose that the launch is unlikely to be prepaid? (not familiar with the standard winter haulout contracts out East)

Best of luck!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook