SailNet Community - View Single Post - Everyone...Share your checklist
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2011

dhays is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by St Anna View Post
Throw away the list and understand the boat and the process - it becomes part of your (life) routine and you are not wasting grey matter on thoughts other than what you are doing, which is going for a sail.

cheers and good sailing
I used to be a private pilot. Even though my instructors beat into me the concept of using a pre-flight checklist, I figured that eventually I would forgo it. (I was young and stupid at the time). Then I flew with an older buddy of mine who had several tours in Vietnam flying F-4's, then spent time in Iraq (Shah era) teaching the Iranian's how to fly F-14's for Gruman. He ALWAYS used a check list. Every flight, no matter how far, VFH or IFH. I gained a whole new respect for the idea of checklists.

Having said that, I don't have one for the boat, but I'm working on it. My wife is a list type of person, I'm not. However, with other family on the boat, a checklist seems like a very good idea.

I'll also admit to being distracted one day with my C36 and leaving the marina without opening the engine intake. Now I keep the ignition key looped over the intake seacock. I can't grab the ignition key without at least touching the water intake.
S/V Legacy, Catalina 400 MkII, Hull #328
My Blog on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook