Old 06-26-2011
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
Winterizing
Provisioning
Maintenance
Winterizing is easy. I don't. *grin* Once the water temp gets close to freezing I keep a small oil-filled radiator on the boat when I am away and a diesel heater to stay cozy when I'm aboard.

Provisioning is very personal as so much depends on taste and cooking style.

I have a dry & canned goods stowage list on the boat for where things are. I keep a print-out in the galley. When I move something from deep stowage to the galley it gets crossed off as "used" even though it is still in the pantry. The list drives a shopping list.

For fridge, freezer, and pantry I have a whole series of menu plans and shopping lists from deliveries. The menu plans drive shopping lists that get checked against the pantry before I go shopping.

I'm not very good at repetitive tasks so I've set this up to take as little attention as possible. Every year or so I empty all the deep storage and repack it, updating the storage list at the same time. When I defrost the fridge and freezer I make sure older stuff is used or pitched. I inventory the pantry while the fridge & freezer melt. Then everything gets scrubbed.

Most maintenance on my boat is done by association. If I'm changing the oil in the main I do the gen and outboard at the same time. Same with fuel filters. I rebuild winches when I can't quite remember when I last did them. Whatever is close by or uses the same tools and supplies gets done. I've started maintenance check-lists a bunch of times but for my personality they simply haven't been sustainable.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook