SailNet Community - View Single Post - Kiss Squirrel Cove Goodbye?
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2011

jackdale will become famous soon enough
My thoughts

Quote:
In the past few days I have become aware of a plan by the Klahoose First Nation to "develop" Squirrel Cove. The plan is to turn what amounts to the entire cove into a marina and mooring field. This is both environmentally and economically unsustainable.

Only part of Squirrel Cove, northwest of Protection Island, is a no-discharge zone. That means the entire marina complex and 107 single mooring balls are not subject to discharge controls of any sort. The remaining single and double mooring points are not subject to grey water controls with the ability to dump a large quantity of detergent into the cove. As is pointed out in the proposal, Squirrel Cove is an enclosed space and likely subject to limited flushing during tidal shifts. With a capacity of close to 400 vessels, the cove will be quickly rendered inhospitable.

In my experience of over 20 years of visiting Desolation Sound and the surrounding area, the reason that it is attractive is its isolation. Those who visit are not interested in the amenities that can be found in the Gulf and San Juan Islands; they enjoy the solitude. The area is already well served by the facilities that these cruisers require. Both Lund and Refuge Cove can provide fuel. These two locales and the existing store at Squirrel Cove can provide the necessary provisions. As a result, I expect that this proposal will drive away, rather than attract, clients.

This is a classic example of “paving paradise….”
Jack
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook