SailNet Community - View Single Post - How Many Young People (say 36 or over) Are Out There?
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
How Many Young People (say 36 or over) Are Out There?

I couldn't resist. I don't feel at all old and I felt left out of the under 35 thread. As a matter of fact, I felt I hit my stride at 30 and have had more fun since than I ever had prior.

John and I are in our mid-forties, no children (by choice - I am not that responsible) and enjoying sailing our Catalina 30 on the Chesapeake.

It's our second boat, the first being a Venture 2-22 that I bought in 1999 as a project boat before meeting John. My only criteria was that it floated. I wanted to figure out how to do stuff. I got the fiberglass down, I made another rudder out of mahogany (beautiful but HEAVY), I re-rigged with swageless fittings and I painted the hull. One week after I began reading the book on marine electrical systems I was introduced to John. Instead of wooing me with wine and flowers he (an electrician) re-wired my boat for me, almost guaranteeing that I didn't blow myself up on the Bay. Four years later, tired of stooping in the Venture (we're both tall), he bought us the Catalina. I figured he's a keeper.

I gave the Venture to a couple who have since become friends.

Today, while scrubbing the Catalina inside and out, I did wish for a couple of kids to borrow for the task. But, wait! I have a couple of bored teenaged nieces and nephews who I think can be bribed.

I suppose I started this topic because the fun doesn't end at 30.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook