SailNet Community - View Single Post - Please Help Me Choose a Boat!
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2006
yacht broker

captnnero is on a distinguished road
Question less is more ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
...BTW, having two heads, while convenient, can lead to a lot more maintenance/repair problems more often than not. Unless your planning on sailing with several crew on board for very long passages, a single head may be the wiser choice.
SailingDog,

With all due respect to you, I've heard this argument before, but I don't understand it. It suggests that heads are unreliable, in which case it would be preferable to me to have a spare than to have to immediately repair the broken system. "Immediately" is the operative word when you lose the use of the only head system.

In the worst case the two head systems would be twice as much maintenance and repair, but I doubt that would be the case given the same usage split between the two systems instead of one. Does having more than one head system somehow cause both heads to fail even more frequently ? I suppose if the second system is hardly ever used there could be issues from seals drying out but that is very is to prevent by cycling the idle system periodically. Our one head boat sits idle the whole winter without ill effects on the single head each spring.

The bottom line is I'm skeptical of the argument. What am I missing ?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook