SailNet Community - View Single Post - CPT Autopilot
Thread: CPT Autopilot
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2001

patrick.t is on a distinguished road
CPT Autopilot

Don''t know if anybody is still following this thread, but I would like to chime in and also hear more of what others have to say re:the CPT.
I have a Cape Dory 36 that displaces about 16,500lbs and have been working with the CPT for about a year. It is not the easiest unit to "tune" to your boat, but you can eventually get there. I will agree that it seems to be best to keep the settings low. I have found for me that what seems to work best is to keep the deadband at around 2 and the rudder at around 4 - this is for saling in moderate conditions. Since I have a windvane I tend to use it more often, but I still try and use the CPT cuz I want to get it figured out....I''m still trying. Even still, if I get a sudden gust or a swell pushes me around, the CPT doesn''t seem to be quick enough and then the boat gets unbalanced and the conditon worsens, etc. Like to hear others response to this.

There is an option I am considering and that is to replace the "control head" with a unit made by (I think) Technautics. Saw an article in Cruising World I think on this and it sounds like a possiblitiy. Anybody familiar with this? I has a gyro and fluxgate compass and a control head that should be able to drive the powerful motor on the CPT.

Any thoughts?

Pat
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook