SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bow in or stern in at the dock?
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2011

Petar is on a distinguished road
Bow in or stern in at the dock?

I've been reading various posts on this form and have watched people in the marina mooring their boats various ways. In essence, majority of boats are tied "bow in" and lesser number "stern in". I owned a 31 and now 38 ft sailboat and always tie "bow in". I have not even tried tying "stern in". Firstly, every boat including sailboats are much more maouverable coming "bow in" to the slip. The bow of the boat is much stronger should you misjudge and hit or ride up the dock which has never happened to me so far. i do not want to even try to think about the damage I can sustain should I misjudge and ride up the dock with my stern and damage the rudder in the process. When we are leaving the dock we are usually fresh and rested and a bit more difficult manouver to come out sternway should not be that hard to execute. On the other hand, when we are returning back to the slip after a day or several days of sailing, cruising etc, we are definitely more exhausted and need more focus on how do we "park" the boat. Finally, I fail to see the benefit of tying the boat "stern in". Can someone try and clarify it for me, why would someone do that in the first place.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook