SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bow in or stern in at the dock?
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
I'd agree with PB re personal preference. I do generally speaking back in. Altho I have sailed in forwards a few weeks back. For me, backing in is somewhat easier than forward in/reverse out. As the back in works with the prop kick, back out, I am opposite of the prop kick! Also for what ever reason, I find loading backed in to be easier, or at least from the proverbial psych end of things it seems easier. backed in also faces the generally speaking south wind, altho in the summer a northwesterly is the more prevalent. That is usually a bit more on the side vs the higher winds out of the south in the winter on the nose/stern of the boat. backed in with the nose out is seems to make for a better ride in 40+ knot winds.

Going out when I solo is also easier to go out forward, backing in or forward in while solo, with practice, both have become a 6 and 1/2 dozen or another! Altho in HIGH winds ie 30+, backing out is easier solo, as the wind pushes me into the dock, vs a northerly, the bow moves to the east and into the boat next to me. Altho if I had a really long line from front to stern to pull in as I go out, this would help.......

So, take you pick as to which you want to do. If you have a walk thru stern, backing in may be better for loading etc. You then have side or stern access.

Really, its all personal, no right or wrong. Of course the person acros from me goes in bow first, but he is ALL wrong about the why and where for! LOL, now to see if mr dodenja catches my he is mooring incorrectly LOLOLOL

marty