SailNet Community - View Single Post - Dolphins on the Southern Bay
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2011

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeDog View Post
This is our first trip south on the bay and we're amazed at all the dolphins. It seems every time we turn on the music they start swimming alongside. There are 50 to 100 swimming in the York River right now. Is this normal or are we just living right?

Chris
You are living right to see that many.

In our years sailing out of Deltaville I formed a theory that you saw dolphins further up the bay during droughts. When there was less rain and presumeably the salinity was a bit higher it seemed you'd sight a lot more Dolphins. However, I never saw more than say 2 or 3 pods of 5-6 at a time, so to see over 50 at once you must be living right.

My best Dolphin story was when I was grinding as crew once. I was standing over the winch with the rail nearly buried, looking almost straight down into the water, with the rest of the crew already on the rail and the helmsman focused on his task when a full sized adult dolphin popped up and rolled on his side to look me over. It was our first sighting that day, and it happen so fast and unexpectedly, I wondered if it really happened. I looked up to see if anyone else saw it, only to be chastised to get the damn sail in.

Later that day several more showed up and played in our bow wave, but the one that "winked at me" will be a special memory for quite some time.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook