SailNet Community - View Single Post - Foreign Registered Vessel - How long can I stay in MD before I need to leave the US
View Single Post
post #5 of Old 06-28-2011
TQA
Bombay Explorer 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Bouvery View Post
I am a non US resident. I have a European passport, and own a BVI registered sail boat. By June next year, I want to sail from BVI to Annapolis, leave the boat there for about 2-2 1/2 months to travel across the US, and then leave the US to sail the boat to Europe. Although I will have tourist visa (for Europeans it is valid up to 3 months), can I leave/park the boat that long in MD, or does it create an issue? Is there any particular documentation/permit needed? Is there any associated cost/local tax?

Grateful for any information on the subject.
If your 'tourist visa' is the 'visa waiver' it is no good if you arrive in the US on a private sailboat. You must have a B1/B2 visa and believe me this is non negotiable.

The boat gets a year with it's cruising permit, you will most likely be given 6 months although it is at the discretion of the immigration officer and I have met two couples who got stamped for a year on entry after they gave reasons. This mattered as they wanted to get US driving licences.
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome