SailNet Community - View Single Post - Foreign Registered Vessel - How long can I stay in MD before I need to leave the US
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2011
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Bouvery View Post
I am a non US resident. I have a European passport, and own a BVI registered sail boat. By June next year, I want to sail from BVI to Annapolis, leave the boat there for about 2-2 1/2 months to travel across the US, and then leave the US to sail the boat to Europe. Although I will have tourist visa (for Europeans it is valid up to 3 months), can I leave/park the boat that long in MD, or does it create an issue? Is there any particular documentation/permit needed? Is there any associated cost/local tax?

Grateful for any information on the subject.
If your 'tourist visa' is the 'visa waiver' it is no good if you arrive in the US on a private sailboat. You must have a B1/B2 visa and believe me this is non negotiable.

The boat gets a year with it's cruising permit, you will most likely be given 6 months although it is at the discretion of the immigration officer and I have met two couples who got stamped for a year on entry after they gave reasons. This mattered as they wanted to get US driving licences.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook