SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bow in or stern in at the dock?
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2011

NCC320 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post

Going out when I solo is also easier to go out forward, backing in or forward in while solo, with practice, both have become a 6 and 1/2 dozen or another! Altho in HIGH winds ie 30+, backing out is easier solo, as the wind pushes me into the dock, vs a northerly, the bow moves to the east and into the boat next to me. Altho if I had a really long line from front to stern to pull in as I go out, this would help.......
Not to highjack the thread, but do you really go out (undocking and docking singlehanded) in 30+? Or is it that the wind is blowing 30+ in open water, but because of shelter, the winds are much lower than that at the dock? If it really is 30+ at the dock, please, please explain how you do it. If you will share your knowledge, please be specific enough so those like me can learn how to do it without wrecking our boat, our neighbor's boats, and the pier. This is the one issue that has troubled me most after messing with sailboats for 40 years. Where I am, they just don't do it, but I hear and read that it is done in some places. If I knew the techniques, it would definitely expand the amount of sailing that I do.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook