SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bow in or stern in at the dock?
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
What is kind of funny about the bow in for privacy..... at a recent YC get together, granted about 80-90% PB's vs SB's, most are backed in, so one can get into the boat, see who is on the back deck, talk to them etc. So backing in could also be "more Friendly" if in a YC away from home port get together too!

In the end, as I think I alluded in my first post, no real right or wrong in reality, ALL the points given must be accounted for.
marty
You're right, there's no right or wrong as far as privacy is concerned. Maneuverability and environmental issues are something else.

If I was in the situation you described above visiting a YC, we'd more than likely back in and party with the crowd. But our marina is very small with only about four seasonal slip holders (all in a row) on our dock who are there every weekend. The two 30-footers go stern in and we chat quite nicely across our cockpits. The larger sailboats in the next two slips back in (mostly because of ease of boarding) and we go visiting, chat on the dock over beer, etc. The configuration hasn't hindered us from making anchoring playdates and getting to know each other.

The Island Packet dealer uses our marina so the rest of the boats are charters or for sale (some for sale so long that I've never seen them leave the slip except for winter storage) and we get quite a few "dockwalkers" just looking. Because our dock is not gated, bow in is also a weak attempt at security.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook