SailNet Community - View Single Post - First Time Buyer/Owner
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2011

jordandemoss is on a distinguished road
First Time Buyer/Owner

I'm looking to buy my first sailboat some time in the next year and eventually become a liveaboard. I'm looking for a fixer, something that I can work on as a hobby project on the evenings and weekends. Here's how I look at it. As long as the hull, masts, and engine/drive train are good then I'm looking forward to the challenge of working on everything else, ripping out, replacing, and putting things how I want them.

I've done plenty of mechanical and electrical work, I'm comfortable with that stuff. What I'm concerned about is what work needs to be done on the bottom of the hull. So, what I'm trying to do is compile a list of things I would need to do to an older boat that needs hauled out. Cleaning, sanding, and painting are pretty obvious.

Do any of you put any kind of special coating on the bottom to protect the paint or that provides reduced drag? Are zincs hard or expensive to replace? What about the shaft, are there any associated components that should be looked at? I'm sure the yard workers will be more than happy to give me a list of things that they could charge me for, which I'm more than willing to pay to get the boat in a good condition but I would like to have a good understanding of what to expect before doing it.

Advice is much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook