SailNet Community - View Single Post - 2011 Sun Odyssey 409
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2011
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Depending on how hard chined the boat is, you will love it or hate it. Ours is a 'flatter' bottom than many boats, and almost all Catalinas except the new 445 (Which I really like). THe pros are that the boat should perform a lot better than the typical round bottom boat. We also found our boat to be more sure footed and sail flatter. Alltogether she is comfortable at sea. THe bad is if it is too hard chined, for a sailboat especially, when you get into choppy water or a large sea (for us about 10'), when she jumps off the waves, it sounds like a bass drum below. There are some boats with hard chimes that are so loud it has run off the owners. You can PM for the mfg I will not put it openly.

I am not familiar with the 409. Have not seen her or sailed her. But I am curious how you build a 40' boat at $200k? Wow. The C400's new will run you well into the 200s with your final bill likely into the low 3's after you get everything you want on them. At least that is what a dealer told me.

I would at least look at a Bene 40 and a C400 for comparrison. I like the Sabres too. But I don't think you will touch any of them in the 200k range... not realistically.

Hope that helps. Good luck with the purchase.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook