SailNet Community - View Single Post - 2011 Sun Odyssey 409
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Some of the pounding will be as mentioned, a round bottom vs a flatter bottom, this is usually more upwind directly, than other points of sail, at least with my mid 80's Jeanneau, which has a flatter bottom compared to other boats of the time. I will also admit, not sure if my boat at 30' has an A rating, as it did not exist at the time, the ratings were from 1-5, and I have a 2, but all the other parts and pieces that seem to make boats A's.

Also, not sure how many truly try to sleep in a V berth unless at the dock. Most will sleep in an aft or mid boat area bunk of some sort. Try these area's next time you get a chance. It is not as noisy etc.

That particle boat part......not sure ALL the wood is particle. The actual finish is particle teak. Behind it, from what I recall is plywood, as has been done in Jeanneau's and many other European boats due to lack of wood supply for many year. Including mine. Altho the final show layer is solid, not the current particle/shavings made in line and glued to the plywood base.

Yes, everything interior wise is made in a computer auto plant, with laser cutters etc. Then the interior parts are shipped from that plant, to the boat installation plant in France or SC on a pallet.

The BIGGER manufactures do seem to be European in nature, as we lost many in the 70's and early 80's due to the boat tax. The industry in NA has for the most part, NEVER rebounded, nor with the current depression in the states, it will not for many years to come to the level it was in the 60's and 70's. We will pretty much be boutique building boats. At least in Europe, you have both mega, and boutique builders. Oz seems more boutique'ish as does Africa and SAmerica may be the same.

marty