SailNet Community - View Single Post - Share your experience with Ontario sailing schools and CYA Basic Cruising course
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2011

flyingwelshman will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMorrison View Post
Good luck Knotted. I will be very interested in hearing your opinion of Adventure Sailing, I'm thinking about taking the Intermediate Cruising with Coastal Navigation from them eventually. Would like to do it this summer but $1500 x 2 is a bit more than the budget can handle right now.
Last year I did the intermediate skipper and my wife did the intermediate crew with Mike Young of 30,000 Island Sailing Adventures. He runs his course out of Killbear Marina (Just North of Parry Sound).

I believe we paid about $899.00 each (not over a grand anyway - my wife's the fiscally astute one in the family). We were also responsible for provisions.

It was a five-day liveaboard. The course was excellent. Mike was a strict but fair instructor. Once he got a handle on our abilities he let us manage the boat. By the end of the week it felt more like a cruise with a friend than a classroom. Mike was really good about correcting my mistakes. He was able to define my weaknesses and allowed me to find solutions without making me feel like a ****. Throughout the week we would have challenges thrown at us: finding position using LOBs; MAFOR (we were responsible for deciphering this every day), etc. By the end of the week we had covered the curriculum and more without realizing it.

Another advantage is that the area around Killbear is amazing. Lot's of little hidy holes around Franklin and Shawanaga Islands. (We were through there just last week and were very grateful to Mike for sharing some of his anchorages with us.)

I have no connection with the school, other than being a very satisfied 'graduate'.

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Yves Cousteau
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook