SailNet Community - View Single Post - Non skid - Kiwigrip need some input
View Single Post
  #6  
Old 07-01-2011
CalypsoP35's Avatar
CalypsoP35 CalypsoP35 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 326
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 9
CalypsoP35 is on a distinguished road
Patrick,
I used a 5" orbital Ryobi sander and dry sanded it. I kept a shop vac close at hand and kept vacuuming the dust. After that I just washed it down with boat soap. I did all this while the boat was still under the winter shrink wrap on the hard. I painted as much as I could with shrink wrap on as well to avoid leaves/pollen falling out of the air. Kiwi grip is nontoxic so didn't have to worry about fumes under the shrinkwrap. Also, I did it in sections, first the cockpit, then the main deck. I actually ran out of time. So I left the coach roof for next winter. The most time consuming part was rebedding the hardware.

Check out the thread started by MaineSail on rebedding hardware with butyl tape on this site. After going through the process I would recommend using the butyl tape. I would also make sure I get the high quality stuff from MaineSail. When I rebbed my hardware I bought all new fastners using 316 stainless which is a higher grade of marine stainless than you will get a West Marine.

Sorry I didn't take any pix during the process. There were a couple of places where I had cracking that spread beyond the nonskid area. I extended the nonskid footprint to cover these areas and it worked really well. Especially where the PO had left some old hardware in the cockpit. I was able to remove it, patch it and cover it up with kiwigrip.

I put the kiwigrip on with the kiwigrip roller and then just took a 1" foam brush to smooth the kiwigrip where it abuts the toerail. I did not bother painting the inside of my anchor locker. Check out the Kiwigrip website for more info.

I had the Pearson blue non-skip and used the Kiwigrip grey which is lighter in color. So anyplace that did not get real good coverage was noticeable. But as I mentioned before, it was easy to go back over it and you couldn't tell where I patched the imperfections.

Good luck, it's a lot of work but it's really worth it. I also stripped my brightwork and painted it with Cetol Natural Teak this past winter. It's like a new boat now. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions as your going through process.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook