SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bow in or stern in at the dock?
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2011

NCC320 is on a distinguished road
Marty,

Thanks for your reply regarding slip departure in 30+ winds. Everyone's dock and wind/wave exposure is a bit different. With my own home slip, I believe, if necessary, using one of two different techniques, that I could get the boat underway singlehanded in such conditions provided I'm stern first into the slip...bow first in would be more problematic. One technique would use long bow lines (port and starboard), that can be lenghtened and released from the boat helm station, and power against these as they are gradually lengthened by paying out line from the helm station to allow the boat to move forward out of the slip while using rudder to keep the boat centered until out of the slip.
The other would be a long amidships spring line doubled on the windward outer piling, again handled as to length (gradually feed out line while keeping the line sufficiently snubbed on winch while allowing boat to move forward, simultaneous with spring line holding boat close to windward piling) and release from the helm station. Winches would definitely be used in either technique, and I have my boat set up for such a situation, including 2 75' float lines to avoid prop fouling.

But I would go only if absolute necessity, because, for me, at least, the real problem comes in getting back into the slip successfully without damage in choppy wave conditions and cross wind. (Under these conditions, I get one shot, without ability to abort if things go wrong due to configuration of the marina.)

How do/did you handle the docking under these high wind conditions singlehanded?

Last edited by NCC320; 07-01-2011 at 10:15 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook