SailNet Community - View Single Post - Boat Purchaser Broker ??
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2011

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanship View Post
@Davidpm that is not true. All brokers co-broker throughout USA and world even. A very few number of vessels are not available for co-brokerage though this is looked down upon in the industry. Brokers do have more incentive to sell their own listings so may push those yachts. Sharing commission is very common.
Your obviously the expert. I only know a handful of brokers in the CT area.

From a practical point of view however it seems that a broker has only very limited time and shopping for a boat for one person can easily take many many hours and lots and lots of traveling.

I was working with a guy, not as a broker but just as a knowledgeable sailor and after showing him probably 8 boats and spending maybe 20 hours plus educating him he writes me a short email explaining how he thought a motorcycle was a better investment. In my case it was amusing, if however I was a broker trying to make a living I would have been annoyed.

Now of course we were looking at 20k boats. I suspect a 130k budget can buy a little more time.

Jorden I have never had the pleasure of buying a boat in FL. Exactly how does the co-broker thing work?
Are you going to go with a buyer to see boats a half a day away.
Make calls on the buyers behalf.
Just how much are you going to invest.
Do you get a buyers brokers agreement to protect yourself from someone picking your brain for months then buying a craigslist boat.

I don't envy your job. Based on what I've seen sailboat buyers are a fickle bunch. How long have you selling boats? Like it?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook