SailNet Community - View Single Post - How did your Pacific Seacraft do when the going got rough?
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2011

okapi3 is on a distinguished road
You're welcome, Brokesailor. Our passage from Norfolk to Bermuda was mostly downwind with about 8 hours of doldrums(motoring) and half a day motoring into wind on the nose. It took us 5 days and 20 hours. We spent 3 days in Bermuda and then the weather dictated we either head back or wait 2 days. We headed back (I was getting restless already and Bermuda is expensive). The passage back was entirely upwind and took us 6 days and 6 hours. Only had to motor the last bit to get through the Bridge-Tunnel and into Norfolk upwind.

Incidentally, after getting blown back to Norfolk (you could say the worst day of sailing I've had) and spending the night there, the next day I had the best run of my life--Norfolk to Solomons in 16 hours with the cruising spinnaker the whole way (unbelievable luck, since the genoa was shredded), in 15 knts wind just aft of the beam and no waves!, boat speed rarely dropping below 7 kts, mostly >8, lounging on the foredeck with the windvane steering, our COG like a line drawn with a ruler from Little Creek (Norfolk) to the Patuxent --the contrasts of sailing can certainly be extreme. And somehow we just remember the glorious days and seem to forget the miserable ones.

Wayfarer's home port is Solomons, right next door to you at ZYC, slip K10. Unfortunately, my home port is Grand Junction, Colorado, in the desert, 30 miles from Utah. I would love to get together and see your 37 next time I'm in Solomons ( August, but don't know dates yet). Is your home also in Solomons? Every year we say we are going to move back east. I am ready, but the housing market is dead so we are stuck here for now. Let's PM to stay in touch.
-Paul
PSC31 #9 "Wayfarer"
Chesapeake

The secret to sailing is good judgment. Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook