SailNet Community - View Single Post - Fortune 30
Thread: Fortune 30
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2011

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
I have never sailed one but have seen more than a few over the years. Good looking boat in a solid traditional way. There is a nice one at Portside marina in Brentwood Bay.

I'd guess they aren't the best to windward but many good boats aren't either. I don't think they are a design with many vices. The current condition will be the biggest issue after several decades and possible owner modifications.

I'm old enough to remember Bob Fortune, who was a weatherman on the CBC I think. I remember reading in Pacific Yachting about his creation of the boat with Stan Huntingford. Probably in the early 70's. Stan's designs were all aimed at offshore use which was Bob's intention as well. I have seen badly built Huntingford boats but I think the designs were good. It seems that they were built by Philbrooks in Sidney.

A quick search shows 5 for sale in B.C. - prices of 8900, 14,000, 19,900, 22,900, and in Gibsons one for 34,800.

FORTUNE 30 CUTTER - Vancouver Sailboats For Sale - Kijiji Vancouver Canada.
fortune 30 by philsbrook - Vancouver Sailboats For Sale - Kijiji Vancouver Canada.
Sailboat Listing Used Preowned Passage Yacht Sales Ltd.
Sailboats: 30' Fortune Cutter - Listing #: 3029
Windward Yachts Brokerage Sailboats for Sale: 30 Fortune - 1978. Sunshine Coast, BC