SailNet Community - View Single Post - I am rebuilding a 1977 morgan I/O -28
View Single Post
Old 07-03-2011

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by srbigham View Post
It seems that you Like that year and the Out Island Series..............'would like to hear something more constructive. Thanks.

Steve Bigham
Nepenthe MOI 28
"quaff oh quaff that kind nepenthe and forget the lost Lenore, Quoth the raven, nevermore"

Here's a list of some concerns that many people with early Morgan Out Islands have refit, repaired or altered:

1. Many have found a delamination of the port and starboard rudder halves that began with a hairline crack and water intrusion. A common fix has been to fare a fiberglass tabbing over the seam. Some, like myself, have had to split and rebuild the rudder.
2. There has been a frequent problem with corrosion where the aluminum mast is stepped on a steel step. Many have replaced or sealed the step from contact with the aluminum.
3. Some have found the back-up plate under the forestay at the stem corroded or the hull deck joint at this location stressed. Some have placed a stainless plate outside the leading edge of the bow remove the force of the headstay from the hull deck joint.
4. I think that by 1977 all the hull-deck joints were moved up to the toe rail instead of the rub rail. Those with the joint at the rub rail need to be wary of damage. Many have had rennovations of the rub rail.
5. Portlight leaks with the failing of the rubber gasket systems are common. Many have refit the portlights with after market products or used oversized polycarbonate plates fastened over the openings.
6. Water intrusion in the balsa cored deck has commonly caused a comestic problem with soft spots on the deck. I have had success by cutting away the top layer of the deck with a rotary tool and removing the damp balsa and replacing it with a composite like Devinylcel (or similar spelling).

I've also completed the expected replacements that would be common for any boat of this age,- fuel tanks, pumps, engines, electronics, rigging, sails, galley stove, etc. Take care and joy, Aythya crew

Last edited by CaptainForce; 07-03-2011 at 08:55 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook