SailNet Community - View Single Post - Rebuilding - Wood Vs. Fiberglass
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2011
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
But if the boat isn't unique, regardless of material, will cost more to rebuild than it will ever be worth when finished then it makes less sense.

Remember that a boat that was originally bought in 1970 dollars will cost 2011 dollars to rebuild. Costs can get out of hand quickly in both labor and parts.
Now we're in the 21st Century, I've noticed an increasing push world-wide for old fibreglass "modern classics" to become the New Wood.

I'm thinking that it will actually be far more expensive (in labour and materials) to restore an old fibreglass S&S, Nicholson 32 or such like than a similar era something-or-other in wood, but it will be interesting to see what happens when people try (and they will) to do exactly as you suggest.