SailNet Community - View Single Post - Anyone sailed/owned an Ericson 30-2 ?
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2011

Windsprinter is on a distinguished road
Smile Ericson 30 II - Hull # 1

My father purchased Hull # 1 (The Show Boat) in 1979. We actively raced this boat in the PHRF class at Marina Del Rey. The boat was named Windsprinter. The PHRF rating was 162 and won only one time... coincidentally, when my Mother was at the helm. It sailed very well... very tender boat actually, but generally performed well even in a blow. The aft rudder was actually a benefit... very responsive and out of the way when cruising and at port. We sailed this boat with a 150 and a 120 Genoa... both were good sails... but the 150 could overpower the boat in a hurry. We used to sail frequently against another of the same design from Redondo Beach who routinely won the class... so the boat was fairly rated.

I inherited the boat when my father passed away and held it for a few more years... but sold it in the mid 90's to someone in Ventura. I do not know where the boat is today.

Hull # 1 was the "Show Boat" so it had a beautiful teak interior. This probably added significant weight to the boat which affected its club racer performance... but it was a very comfortable boat to cruise with. The Atomic 4 was typical for the day... and all the resultant problems that came with it... (there were a few).

All in All the Ericson 30 II was an excellent boat in its day... well designed, performed admirably... very seaworthy... nice memories!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook