SailNet Community - View Single Post - I saved an O'day 22 today.
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2011

PPPPPP42 is on a distinguished road
SUDDENLY, a wild plan B appears!
or
How my plan had an uncontrolled jibe.

The whole upper hull on my $200 boat is basically crap, and there is water getting into the forward part of the keel too I found, not just the rear where it cracked. Plus serious (though not illegal) complications came up that would have made this boat nearly impossibly to title now.

Luckily the situation has been remedied, I simply lifted up the mast and installed a new boat:
22' O'Day 22 Sailboat and Trailer T158454 | eBay
Whats the chances of me buying a boat with nothing but good standing rigging, rudder and mast, and then finding an identical boat a few hours away in great shape needing a rudder, standing rigging and a mast.

Apparently this boat had its mast and its rudder both made into a 2 piece version and was dumped on a local charity. I feel I could have gotten it for less if I let them re-list it, but I wanted it, I didn't want any competition, and with the parts combined that means I'll be sailing the end of next week for $1150 plus the fuel expended getting both boats.
When I sell off which ever trailer I like the least and take the 600 lbs of lead in the keel of this boat to a scrap place, that will likely go way down.

The old boat is getting chopped up, its positively trashed after deeper inspection on both upper hull, interior and lower hull. I'll be keeping every last fitting on it, and eventually transferring some of the fancy stuff like that rear mounted traveler to the new boat.

This one has a forward hatch too, which I think is critical with the lack of opening windows. O and sails, nice to have a sailboat that comes with sails

So I now own 1976 22 class number 2167.

If anyone needs a trailer set up for a 22, as soon as this boat is made no more, one will be available, dunno what else will be for sale.

Last edited by PPPPPP42; 07-04-2011 at 11:24 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook