SailNet Community - View Single Post - Passage Planning: San Francisco to San Diego
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2011

serenity440 is on a distinguished road
Passage Planning: San Francisco to San Diego

Greetings!

I am planning a passage from SF Bay down to Catalina and probably on to San Diego. Not long ago I made the passage from Seattle to San Francisco but this will be my first run down the southern part of California. I was hoping to ask some questions, get some tips and maybe create some interesting discussion.

Question 1:

I may be single-handing and would like to figure the most optimal way to break the voyage up into single days where possible. It seems that is a challenge between Monterey Bay and San Luis Obispo. Is there any hope for an anchorage somewhere in the middle?

Basically looking at day 1 to Half Moon Bay, 2 to Monterey Bay, 3 to San Luis Obispo (unless there is some sanctuary between that I am yet away of), 4 to Pt. Conception and then from there just puddle jumps.

Question 2:

Is it worth hitting up all the harbors in Monterey Bay (i.e. Santa Cruz, Moss Landing and Monterey)? I can make this trip as casual as I like and would like to experience the best parts of the coast as I cruise down. I am also looking for a live aboard slip anywhere south of SF so want to check out all marinas along the way.

Question 3:

I have heard that there is decent anchorage just around Pt. Conception...Can anyone provide coordinates to the ideal spot? I understand this is the area where weather can be tricky and would like to be as prepared as possible. Plan to stop before continuing to Santa Barbara.

Final General Question:

Any tips or tricks along the way? Anything I need to watch out for or be made aware of? Charts are one thing but those with experience probably have a lot to add

Thanks for your time and happy sailing.

Cheers!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook