SailNet Community - View Single Post - Passage Planning: San Francisco to San Diego
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2011
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
I would suggest you go SF to Half Moon Bay; Half Moon Bay to Stillwater Cove in the northeast corner of Carmel Bay below the Pebble Beach Golf Course (or Monterey in the unlikely event that the winds/swells are not out of the Northwest); Stillwater Cove to San Simeon Bay (75 miles or so) where there is a very good anchorage in the northwest corner under the bluffs; then San Simeon to Port San Luis (roughly another 50 miles) where there is an excellent anchorage and a very good restaurant (the Old Port Inn) on the pier; and from there down and around Pt. Conception. In theory one could round Conception and than angle back north into Cojo Bay (about 75 miles from Port San Luis) but I can't imagine that when one can zoom on down to Santa Cruz and tuck into one of the anchorages on the south coast. From there to Cat Harbor on Catalina is another straight shot, about 75 miles or so and so long as you don't bang into Santa Barbara Island pretty hazard free.

In the foregoing you could skip San Simeon and try Morro Bay but that can be a problematic entry and unless you hit it right, there can be breaking waves over the bar. I'm not sure why one would bother.

For more details of the foregoing route/anchorages, click over to ActiveCaptain.com, register (it's free) and check out the "Interactive Cruising Guidebook"

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook