SailNet Community - View Single Post - "Market Price"
Thread: "Market Price"
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2011
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
"Market Price"

This has always bothered me, a little.. Not the fact that dining places do that with seafood favorites.. "jimmies" (chessy crabs) are pricey I don't argue that. But how does the average person find out in advance? other then call the place before you walk in the door.

We did some day trips by car this past weekend rather then going on the boat. Stopped at a certain place in Chesapeake City up on the hill. Been there a few times. I'm sure most anyone that's been through there knows the place. It's "famous" according to all the reviews posted all over the walls and windows. (the crabs were overcooked and salty)

7/3 - $28 a dozen for medium , and $54 a dozen for large crabs, "Market Price" Waitperson said. "Oh they are much more at other places"

So, can someone create a "market price" link for those people that may want to check? Just to see if we will be paying big or reasonable bucks? I can't help but wonder how much the actual crabber is getting paid for his work on the water. What is there? 3 mark ups before they hit the table? Yes I know this applies to most all types of food supplies.

Now I'm thinking... lets find a place where you can BYOB and BYOC! (bring your own crabs) I know.. a picnic table.

Or lets post market price here?

ps; yes I'm aware the bay is dead or dying.

How can I support the local person? Go to a dock where they bring in the catch of the Day? Pay them before the handlers and shippers add their share? I think that's possible in Maine.

My 2 reasons for almost never eating crab from the Chesapeake, market price and the waste and time to get so little meat.

My boat is for sale.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook