SailNet Community - View Single Post - 2011 Sun Odyssey 409
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
PCP...you are right about the Tartan, but the older ones pre 1998 are great boats. Rawkdawg is looking for a boat in the $200,000 range it appears. Cant touch a new Tartan for that anyway. It is sad what Tratn has done to itself, but I didnt think Sabre, Calber or HR has those problems.

My point is more aimed at trying to compare a Sabre, Calber, HR to a Jenneau. They come from two different worlds, so it what do you intend usung it for

Buy new for 200,000 a 40 Jenneau sailboat, I do not think that in 10 years that boat will worth even $100,000, if you look how they depreciate and their resale value. Buy a 10 year old HR and in 10 years it will still be worth in excess of 100,000

Understand I am in no way putting down the Jenneaus or anyother production boat. Many friends who are good sailors have them.

Dave
Dave,

Of course you are right, but not all the way. A Jeanneau is better designed than any of those boats. The HR has a modern hull but for having something designed like a Caliber yacht you have to look at Jeanneaus from the 80's.

Regarding value you are about right, probably a Jeanneau bought now for 200 000 will just be worth probably 100 000 in 10 years time and I am pretty sure a HR 40 bought now will worth a lot more than 100 000 in 10 years. But a HR bought now will cost 400 000 and what I can tell you is that you would lose a lot more than 100 000 in 10 years time.

Yes no doubt a HR is better built than a Jeanneau, mainly in what concerns overall quality but that difference is nowhere near the money difference. Mass production techniques, advanced used of robotics, scale production permits control of quality and huge savings in labor. The final result is a good boat at an affordable price.

The Jeanneau 409 is not designed as a all time passage maker, but very few boats are mostly because they are not used for it most of the time and the characteristics that would make them excel in that use would be counterproductive in the use that is given to the boat most of the time.

The 409 is a good compromise, a fast boat with good stability that can sail with weak winds and a boat that if conveniently equipped is fit for offshore work, perfectly capable of safely cross the Atlantic (in the right season) and much more.

Regards

Paulo
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook