SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cal21 Rebuild Questioins
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2011

coralgardener is on a distinguished road
Cal21 Rebuild Questioins

Hi All,
I'm new to sailing so I've grabbed every how to book the local library system has on sailing, maintenance, wiring, anything I could find there. I love to keep myself busy with projects and did I ever rope myself a huge one here. a cal21 that was the countyís biggest mosquito farm, it had two foot of water in it for who knows how long, the whole interior turned to compost.
anyhow I know to use marine plywood to rebuild the bulkheads and bunks, floors and all, but what would anyone suggest the secondary wood that holds the plywood together that you run the screws into?
I've also separated the deck from the hull because the sheer clamps or strips (at least thatís what they are called in kayak construction) they are disintegrating with every touch. any clue what to use here? I figure I will need to scarf these, as 21 foot lumber of any kind in Ohio is imposable to find.
I've tried to ask some repair shops around the area and they wonít give out any kind of trade secrets, all they say is bring it in and we can give you an estimate. nope we can't tell you anything without seeing it so I brought pictures even and they say sorry bring it in and...
I found five sheets of okoume the other day so Iím chomping at the bit to get started. bought a n angle grinder yesterday and started to get rid of the old tabs.
Oh also what would be the best way to seal it once Iím finished, some say encapsulate it in fiberglass, others say paint it , then I read it must breathe, itís all so confusing?
any advice would be greatly appreciated,
Thank You
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook