SailNet Community - View Single Post - How to find the right live aboard
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2011
Bristol 29.9

Maverick1958 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Maverick1958
My wife an I have a Bristol 29.9 (30ft). There is a v-berth, large head (the bigger the better for women), a good sized salon, gally and quarter berth. It has plenty of storage for us as well as the dog (sheltie). Some would say the boat is too small that a couple needs a 35 to 40 foot boat. If you are going to spend most of your time at the dock or day sailing on the weekend then that may be fine for you. However if you intend to sail in blue water 30 to 35 is more than enough. Additionally blue water boats vs near coastal cruisers are two completely different boats as well as two different types of sailing. Your big roomey bay boats do not provide much in the way of comfort in rough water. They tend to have too much free board and bob like a cork. Then there is the beam and openess of a costal cruiser. You can pick up a lot of speed down below with a 12 to 14 foot beam and I can say from experience the other side of the boat comes at you fast and does not provide a soft landing. Where as a blue water boat is typically less roomey less beamey but provides a smoother ride with more hand holds (a good thing). Moving from a studio apartment is a good start, it will have more room than most boats but still better than a 2000 foot 3 bedroom house. I would recomend finding a boat that you think is a little too small (it's not). Then you and your wife go thru your closets ect. and toss 1/2 of everything there. Wait a month and do it again. Then when you move on the boat you will only need to do it one more time. It is NOT about a minimalists lifestyle or learning to do without it is learning more about what you NEED vs what you want. Someone once said if it's not on the boat you don't need it...

Just my thoughts.