SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Safety equipment aboard and priorities

4K views 29 replies 14 participants last post by  puddinlegs 
#1 · (Edited)
It's been a few months since I got my first boat. The boat had not been used much before so it is not equipped well. The engine and rigging and sailing gear are in good order but that's about it. The only other working thing is the depth sounder.

So far, as I am learning, all I have been doing was about 3-4 hour long rides in the south SF bay. I feel like it is about time I ventured a little further on longer day trips or weekend cruises. But first, I need to make sure I have at least the basic safety equipment aboard and in good order. Money is issue so I am prioritizing from most essential and cheap towards less critical and expensive. Here is my list:

EDIT - See updated list at the end of the post
  1. Connect and test VHF antenna (antenna is there and coax runs to mast base. Currently not connected to VHF. The wire will need extending and routing and ends fitted)
  2. Get wooden plugs for leak emergencies
  3. Assemble and mount man overboard pole
  4. Fix nav lights (a few bulbs out on hull fitted ones. Masthead is not connected yet but I haven't been doing any night sailing)
  5. Get bronze caps for unused seacocks
  6. Get spare hose clamps of various sizes
  7. Get a horn
  8. Get flares
  9. Get a good flashlight
  10. Get paper charts (currently using iPhone + navionics app)
  11. Get a high capacity second bilge pump (I have a low capacity one I am sure, though I can't see the label since it is covered in grime. Bilge cleaning is in progress. Also float switch works intermittently)
  12. Fit a handle for the manual bilge pump (the unit is there, handle is missing)
  13. Upgrade throwable PFD. (I have one but a lot of UV damage on it)
  14. Get mayday Scripttie
  15. Get first aid kit
  16. Get mirror
  17. Get binoculars
  18. Get new extinguishers
  19. Get a second anchor (currently only have a single CQR 45 lbs)
  20. Get spare anchor rode
  21. Get spare engine parts (belt, impeller, oil, various hoses)
  22. Get boat hook
  23. Get an anchor windlass (none installed currently)
  24. Get foul weather gear
  25. Fit davits for dinghy (I have a rigid dinghy but I don't carry it. I am afraid if I tow it, it will fill with water and/or capsize)
  26. Get handheld VHF
  27. Get handheld GPS
  28. Upgrade VHF to a combination unit with AIS
  29. Fit jacklines and get harness

So these are the things that I can think of. Feel free to bash me for going to sea with the long list of non-equipment. I would appreciate your comments about possibly what to add/take out from the list and how to prioritize. Mind you, some items are cheap and easy. Some are not and will take time to save for. So I want to take care of small stuff first. Also, as you can tell, I am mostly concerned about taking in water. What do you have aboard to fix small leaks at sea and slow the large leaks?

I didn't include the ditch bag since that is what comes after all else fails and it's contents is a whole other discussion.

EDIT: Updated list:

Note:
Red - Required by law
Blue - Bare essentials

Boat watertight integrity:
  1. Correctly sized wooden plugs attached to each seacock for leak emergencies
  2. Rubber mallet to shove the wooden plugs
  3. Bronze caps for unused seacocks
  4. Spare hose clamps of various sizes
  5. Spare hoses of various diameters
  6. High capacity second bilge pump
  7. Manual bilge pump

Staying on the boat:
  • Jacklines and harness

Man overboard:
  • Throwable type IV PFD
  • Man overboard pole
  • A long floating line
  • Life sling and dedicated rope boomvang
  • Portable ladder

Signaling and communications:
  • Fixed VHF
  • The Mayday Scriptie placard
  • Handheld submersible VHF attached to life vest
  • Sound device (air horn)
  • Flares
  • Mirror
  • Bell (required for my boat)

Collision avoidance/limited visibility:
  • Working navigation lights
  • AIS transponder/receiver
  • Radar

Navigation:
  • Paper charts and tools (ruler, etc...)
  • Chart no.1
  • Depth sounder
  • GPS
  • Secondary GPS
  • Binoculars

Anchoring:
  • Primary anchor
  • Secondary anchor
  • Spare anchor rode
  • Windlass

Crew health:
  • Foul weather gear
  • First aid kit
  • Emergency stash of bottled water
  • High calorie packaged foods (energy bars etc...)

Abandon ship:
  • Ditch bag (contents another topic)
  • Dinghy on davits and/or life raft
  • Some of the above (handheld VHF etc... applies here too)

Miscellaneous:
  • Fire extinguishers
  • A few good flashlights
  • Toolset (wrenches, screwdrivers, saw etc...)
  • Sharp knife
  • Spare engine parts (belt, impeller, oil, various hoses)
  • Spare fuel
  • Boat hook
  • Wire cutter
  • Emergency tiller
  • Sail repair kit
  • Extra lines

See less See more
#3 ·
I have a MOB pole but it is not assembled, i.e. no use. It should probably be attached to the backstay with some sort of quick release. Good reminder.

Create a Mayday ****** and paste it up next to your VHF
A little more explanation on that?

Propane locker drain works well. Anchor rode is noted. Thanks. I will update the list as suggestions pile up.

#4 ·
The Mayday Scripttie, is a "placard" you put by your radio if you have to call for help. There are some radio tips here. My limited opinion is that you should have at least what the Coasties say you HAVE to have on board. if you are single handing or limited experience crew, jack lines and harness are very important.

My 2 cents.

:cool:

#5 ·
Jacklines and harness are important. I updated the original list. But they went down to one of the last priorities as they are also high expense items (no jacklines fitted on the boat yet) and I am for now in protected bay waters in a relatively large boat.

#7 ·
#6 ·
cb32863 makes a good point, in fact the first thing I thought of when I read your initial post. May I suggest you contact your local Coast Guard Auxiliary and get a (free) safety inspection? They won't/can't write tickets and may note some things that haven't made you list. In general the list from them is probably going to include the high priority items. Oh - move boat hook to the top of your list. *grin*

Far from beating you up, I think you can be pleased with yourself for getting off the dock and not letting "the list" keep you from sailing.

Although you said you are budget conscious, consider unlimited towing from Boat/US or SeaTow -- whichever is more prevalent in your area. Cheap and very helpful.

#29 ·
USCG Aux Vessel Exam Checklist

cb32863 makes a good point, in fact the first thing I thought of when I read your initial post. May I suggest you contact your local Coast Guard Auxiliary and get a (free) safety inspection? They won't/can't write tickets and may note some things that haven't made you list. In general the list from them is probably going to include the high priority items. Oh - move boat hook to the top of your list. *grin*
A link to the checklist that the auxiliary vessel examiners use: http://forms.cgaux.org/archive/a7012.pdf

#8 ·
The safety list will also depend on how much you singlehand. Obviously things like MOB pole would not help a singlehander, whearas, a water proof handheld VHF clipped to your lifejacket would.

Seems to me that compared to the operating expenses of a 50' boat, this list of safety equipment should not be too difficult to handle.

#9 ·
I beleive that a list is essential and may be more important to some individuals. But I hate list because I am a rebel. In most case common sense prevails. Having a list in compliance with it does not save your life.

For example, everyone has a medical emergency kit on board. Many just buy an overpriced kit from WM. If you look into what in there, it is so absurd. It won't save your life if your life depends on it. So having the kit is no more than just a placebo effect.

For my approach is practice, practice and practice especially in the adverse condition. Think about what if. Look for holes and deficiencies in your knowledge and inventories. Correct as you go.

#21 ·
I beleive that a list is essential and may be more important to some individuals. But I hate list because I am a rebel. In most case common sense prevails. Having a list in compliance with it does not save your life.

For example, everyone has a medical emergency kit on board. Many just buy an overpriced kit from WM. If you look into what in there, it is so absurd. It won't save your life if your life depends on it. So having the kit is no more than just a placebo effect.

For my approach is practice, practice and practice especially in the adverse condition. Think about what if. Look for holes and deficiencies in your knowledge and inventories. Correct as you go.
Agreed and Barquito makes a good point too. The list here is a good tool to get some information out of the more experienced here. I won't be going to the WM with this list printed out :) But some things are just plain dumb (on my part) not to have on board now.

#11 ·
IMHO

Items 10 and 27 should get moved much nearer to the top of your list. If you single hand unless your vhf is mounted so it can be reached from the steering position item 28 matters more than item 1.

When you say mob pole is this a floating dan buoy thinghy with flag. If so yes by all means get one.

However if it is a mob retrieval device ?? The whole MOB thing is a right can of worms. There have been some trials in benign conditions of the different methods of retrieving casualties and in many/most cases they have failed to get the person back on board.

Anyway your list looks pretty good to me.

#14 ·
IMHO

Items 10 and 27 should get moved much nearer to the top of your list. If you single hand unless your vhf is mounted so it can be reached from the steering position item 28 matters more than item 1.

When you say mob pole is this a floating dan buoy thinghy with flag. If so yes by all means get one.

However if it is a mob retrieval device ?? The whole MOB thing is a right can of worms. There have been some trials in benign conditions of the different methods of retrieving casualties and in many/most cases they have failed to get the person back on board.

Anyway your list looks pretty good to me.
Yep, the MOB pole I am referring to is the buoy thing with the flag. I have it but I need to mount it more properly so it stays assembled and ready to go.

As for the handheld GPS, I think iphone works decently as one for now (until it gets wet and stops functioning underway). Anyway, for the areas I am sailing in now, I know enough to not need GPS at all. It will be an absolute necessity when I am in unfamiliar places. Can't argue with the handheld VHF having more priority though.

#12 ·
It's been a few months since I got my first boat. The boat had not been used much before so it is not equipped well. The engine and rigging and sailing gear are in good order but that's about it. The only other working thing is the depth sounder.

So far, as I am learning, all I have been doing was about 3-4 hour long rides in the south SF bay. I feel like it is about time I ventured a little further on longer day trips or weekend cruises. But first, I need to make sure I have at least the basic safety equipment aboard and in good order. Money is issue so I am prioritizing from most essential and cheap towards less critical and expensive. Here is my list:

1. Connect and test VHF antenna (antenna is there and coax runs to mast base. Currently not connected to VHF. The wire will need extending and routing and ends fitted)
  2. Get wooden plugs for leak emergencies
  3. Assemble and mount man overboard pole
  4. Fix nav lights (a few bulbs out on hull fitted ones. Masthead is not connected yet but I haven't been doing any night sailing)
  5. Get bronze caps for unused seacocks
  6. Get spare hose clamps of various sizes
  7. Get a horn
  8. Get flares
  9. Get a good flashlight
  10. Get paper charts (currently using iPhone + navionics app)
  11. Get a high capacity second bilge pump (I have a low capacity one I am sure, though I can't see the label since it is covered in grime. Bilge cleaning is in progress. Also float switch works intermittently)
  12. Fit a handle for the manual bilge pump (the unit is there, handle is missing)
  13. Upgrade throwable PFD. (I have one but a lot of UV damage on it)
  14. Get mayday Scripttie
  15. Get first aid kit
  16. Get mirror
  17. Get binoculars
  18. Get new extinguishers
  19. Get a second anchor (currently only have a single CQR 45 lbs)
  20. Get spare anchor rode
  21. Get spare engine parts (belt, impeller, oil, various hoses)
  22. Get boat hook
  23. Get an anchor windlass (none installed currently)
  24. Get foul weather gear
  25. Fit davits for dinghy (I have a rigid dinghy but I don't carry it. I am afraid if I tow it, it will fill with water and/or capsize)
  26. Get handheld VHF
  27. Get handheld GPS
  28. Upgrade VHF to a combination unit with AIS
  29. Fit jacklines and get harness

So these are the things that I can think of. Feel free to bash me for going to sea with the long list of non-equipment. I would appreciate your comments about possibly what to add/take out from the list and how to prioritize. Mind you, some items are cheap and easy. Some are not and will take time to save for. So I want to take care of small stuff first. Also, as you can tell, I am mostly concerned about taking in water. What do you have aboard to fix small leaks at sea and slow the large leaks?

I didn't include the ditch bag since that is what comes after all else fails and it's contents is a whole other discussion.
Cool, I learned to sail in Redwood City. My boat might yet move back there. Having fun tacking that 50ft boat down the channel?

For man overboard you might look at the Lifesling 2.

You should think about how you'll get someone on board after falling overboard. I went for a dedicated rope boomvang ($80 at Garhauer right now) that will work with the spinnaker halyard and the lifesling.

#17 · (Edited)
Here is an updated list. Prioritizing is becoming more difficult. So I will put them in a somewhat logical categories of troubles.

While I am tapping into all this salty knowledge, I am also including some of the items I already have to make this list as a rough guideline for other fresh sailors. Thanks for all the input. Keep them coming.

EDIT - Please see the end of original post. List is kept up to date there:

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gener...y-equipment-aboard-priorities.html#post748052

#18 ·
Couldn't agree more. Moreover, even those who take wilderness training courses are only trained to stabilize the patient for transport. If you are on a boat without the possibility of rescue for a long peroid of time you actually need to learn how to treat the patient.
Same concept with other safety devices. Maybe having a liferaft without some serious thought could actually get you in trouble. You may find yourself in a crappy rubber raft floating away from a perfectly floating sailboat.

The most important safety device is mushy stuff between our two ears.

#23 ·
Problem is that I go out at flood tide to time my return at high slack. A few hours of sailing is the limit with my son for now. I end up going against the current and wind. I open up sails in the redwood channel near the Westpoint entrance. Next time, hopefully, I will motor past the San Mateo bridge and head to Sausalito, spend the night there and come back downwind under sail all the way home. That's after having some more equipment off the list onboard and convincing my wife that I am good to go. Unless I can arrange an experienced friend to come along for the weekend.

#24 ·
I like your list, it looks pretty complete.

I would create a separate category for " Required" by law equipment.
To help you prioritize.

In that category would be:

Flares..within the expiration date
Horn
Bell
Type 1V throwable device - floating line
Fire extinguishers.
Navigation Lights.

I would then begin to classify some "essential". really should have equipment

Working VHF - + emergency VHF antenna

You have a primary anchor, which I consider essential safety equipment, so the secondary is desirable but optional.

I would have tools and " essential" spare engine parts onboard:

Impeller
Alternator Belt
Primary and secondary fuel filters
Hose Clamps
Wooden Plugs or Soft Plugs..attached or near the seacocks and sized to fit.
Thermostat
Gasket material
Atomic Tape

Sail repair tape.
Manual Bilge Pump - you may have one already built in.

After that, you can prioritize the rest of your list as time, money and need allow.

A handheld VHF and a Handheld GPS would be high on my list.. as soon as extra money allows.

#26 ·
Turb,

This may be relevant or maybe not...

Based on your original description of the condition of your GS, I'd think about making one of your initial investments into verifying that your propulsion, external plumbing and electrics are safe and sound. My thought is that most of the items on your list are reactive gadgets (i.e. something to deploy once things go wrong.) Time spent reducing your risk for underway hair fire drills is time (and money) well spent. Just a thought -- since you're already living aboard, this may be a moot point.

After that, I concur with the recommendation to segregate your list into "must have", "should have" and "would be nice to have."

#27 ·
Good point. Preventative maintenance, repairs and improvements to the propulsion, wiring, plumbing etc... is an always ongoing project and one that I try to keep up with. But the purpose of this post is about what I will need when stuff goes wrong. The updated list now distinguishes between the must and should have and the rest.

#28 ·
Good list; very useful.

re: wooden plugs. I would attach the correct size wooden plug to each through hull. Also store a rubber mallet in an accessible location. You do not want to spit a wooden plug by hitting it with a steel hammer.

Jack

Reactions: turbulicity
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.