SailNet Community - View Single Post - Catalina 42 vs 400 MK II (new)
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2011

cathyinct is on a distinguished road
Smile Mom loves her three cabin 42

When we considered our C42, we took into consideration the following. 1. We are really tall at 6 foot and 6'4" and the Catalina offered better headroom than the Beneteau. 2. Mooring areas in the NorthEast are getting tight and to go beyond a 42 footer would have us crashing into other boats. 3. We have son and daughter and having the twin aft cabins really gave them their own space and afforded us space for future guests. We had the boat when the kids were 4-5 years of age. Teens want friends on the boat. 4. The displacement makes this a great cruising boat. 5. The aft cockpit shower is a must for a cruising family with a dog. The swim platform on the C42 is outstanding in that it is very deep when showering off toddlers, is way better than the C470. We store shampoo, frisbees, poly line and body wash in one aft platform locker and in the port side we store cleaning supplies. The compartment "seats" are wonderful for washing off kids and dogs. 5. The salon with the bench makes for wonderful storage when you are cruising 2-3 weeks. We can get 8-10 kids around it for cards or for watching DVD movies. I can be using the three burner stove and they can get around me.
6. In the event of a fire, the large ports in the aft cabins are great escape hatches for the kids to get out of the boat. 7. Engiine access is extremely good. 8. I do not hit my head when opening the refrigerator or when cooking. That was not the case on the 2 cabin model or on more expensive boats !!

We chose our boat knowing we would be spending about 10-15 years with kids on board and we have -0- regret in our three cabin decision.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook