SailNet Community - View Single Post - Serene destinations near NYC
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2011

Yudhishthira is on a distinguished road
Serene destinations near NYC

First off, I love this Forum. I have been reading obsessivly, and now its time to start posting.

So...I need a little bit of help coming up with a nearby weekend destination. I am fairly new to sailing, and I have a new to me 27' Hunter moored in NYC (79th st.). For my birthday I would like to grab a few friends and head out for a weekend trip. It's taking the place of my summer camping trip, so hopefully something serene and private. Maybe with some nice swimming and hiking nearby? It will be my first overnight- so I am hoping to find something challenging but not TOOO terrifying. I would like to anchor (to save money) which is something I have never done- so a nice easy anchorage would be great. I was thinking south shore of long island, or Sandy Point, or maybe even further up the Hudson

Anyone have any ideas? Something that meets at least some of these criteria: Only a days sail away from Manhattan, Clean water to swim in, Easy anchoring, and Good sailing in the area. I need a break from sailing New York Harbor!

I'll take as many ideas as I can get...perhaps I can make a couple trips this summer. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook