Dean101 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
Yes, the SUPER threads...

What anchor should I buy?

Crimping vs soldering.

And the funniest of all

Cruising with bulldogs. (My favorite)

This is the internet, not an English class fer chrissake!

But getting back to the topic the boats that are built are the ones people buy. If these features were that bad they wouldn't sell.

What I have always found odd is the opinion of many that for a boat to be "offshore capable" it must have a long keel, attached rudder, and if it behaves like a half tide rock so much the better it seems.

On the thread started by Paulo - interesting sailboats - virtually all the boats described could and in some cases have been sailed offshore for a fair distance. Many are what cruisers would call either racers or racer/cruisers with a definite emphasis on the racing part.

During the course of researching boats, I have to agree with your statement about what is considered offshore capable. To go beyond that, however, I have done a fair amount of reading on why these features are desireable and I have to say that I agree with the reasons. I think the "poor performance" factor may hinge on ones point of view.

I have developed a belief that virtually any boat is offshore capable, given the right weather conditions. Since I plan on eventually crossing oceans, I have ditched the statement "offshore capable" and confined my search for "offshore suitable" boats. I think these two discriptions encompass a state of mind rather than than the actual capability of the boat itself.

I stand behind my belief that almost any boat can go offshore. They could even cross oceans given enough food and water. This is the "offshore capable" mindset. I do NOT believe that just any boat should be taken offshore. This forum is full of stories from people who encountered much more in the way of weather and problems than they expected, and those "perfect sailing weather" forecasts have sometimes turned into small craft advisories. I will eat those words on this forum for all to see if I am wrong. Many of these boats can handle heavy weather, but what about equipment failures, ability to careen on a remote beach to repair a hole caused by a collision with floating junk? The ability to carry enough stores and water for truely extensive voyaging? Maybe, maybe not.

The "offshore suitable" mindset is where I think those full keeled, half floating rocks you speak of fall. I believe these boats were designed to handle the worst that mother nature could throw at them. The design features they incorporate are there for good reason. Sure, they affect the performance, such as speed and maneuverability. But I say they are high performance in the role they were cast for. They take a beating. They get you there, not because of fair weather, but no matter the weather. Perhaps speed is not so important to the individual as being able to take punishment and still go. Maybe they want the ability to dry out on the beach to repair damage and not have to terminate their cruise.

What do you think? Could "offshore capable" be confused with "offshore suitable"? My personal opinion is that boats like the Tayana 37 or the Hans Christian 33 are absolutely beautiful in their styling and abilities. Many of the newer boats seem so futuristic to me and while they are attractive boats, they don't hold the appeal I have for the more traditional designs. With my intended use and personal preferences, when I finally make a purchase it will be one of the above mentioned, or one like them. But, that is my own choice and my priorities are likely to be much different than those of you that want to race or prefer a faster, more responsive boat.

I guess it's all in what each individual prefers and what they want to do with their boat. There is nothing wrong with any of them and I think that as long as you are out on the water doing what you want to do and feel that special connection with your boat as you cut through the water, it doesn't matter what kind of keel you have. It's all good!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook