SailNet Community - View Single Post - 3rd time sailing hit 35kt winds...miami
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2006

marinesniper is on a distinguished road
3rd time sailing hit 35kt winds...miami

Hello,

well I thought I would share this with everyone. Today I went out with my brother and wife for only my third time sailing every. It was a sunny day with only 5kt winds...we were sailing a rental, 25ft catalina in decent shape.

We were having fun trying to trim the sails to get the best speed and wham, within 5 minutes a 35kt stormy (rain, thunder and lightning) hit us. being a newbie I did not recognize this earlier.

the 25ft'er would barely turn with full rudder, I was trying to go from close reach to broad reach to head back to the dock. This was not working and the boat was getting thrown around...I yelled for my brother to bring in the jib (first mistake should have angled into the wind then the start motor first), then I told him to bring down the main while we were in a beam reach (tough to do), I told my wife to go below immediatly...

Still the damn outboard would not start (guess I flooded it in all the excitment), so once the main was down I had my brothertry and start the motor...(tough to day over me while I was steering)...so I had him take over and I verbally guided him with steering...he got the motor started and I then took over again...

This was a great experience to go through, I have alot of respect for the seas and the weather after today...

I will be practicing emergency procedures for the next couple lessons...!

Anyway I am still learning and am even more excited about sailing more and learning more.

farzam
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook