SailNet Community - View Single Post - A perfect cruisin boat
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2001

audbydez is on a distinguished road
A perfect cruisin boat

Jack

The Copelands purchased a Beneteau First series 38 built in the ''80s. Many boats were slightly overbuilt with extra fiberglass in the 80''s and the Beneteau First series is a racer/cruiser and even today''s First series Beneteaus are a bit beefire in construction than the Oceanis Cruiser Series.

Furthermore, the Copelands made significant upgrades to their First 38 so it wasn''t exactly stock. But it represented a good base boat in which to build upon.

In conclussion, $300,000 buys alot of boat. If Bodo likes a Beneteau, then he''ll spend less for the initial boat and can spend some money on making the necessary upgrades to make a world passage with it. Besides, retrofitting and upgrading a basically good design (notice I said design, not construction) can be alot of fun. I''ve been doing it to my 1994 Beneteau 40 and really enjoying the performance inprovements with each step. The boats are relatively quick and lively out of the box, affordable and easy to work on.

There are alot of good yachts out there. Don''t be so discouraging with your opinions.

One last anecdoate. I think it was last year or the year before, a delivery captain and crew of 2 were bringing a 38 foot Beneteau yacht from England to, I think, France. I''ll shorten the story - captain did not heed storm warnings, did not use good seamanship in handling the storm that hit them and boat rolled twice. Captain abandoned ship (when he probably should not have). The French coast guard later found and retrieved the Beneteau still floating upright - full rig intact. The French coast guard then sunk the Beneteau.

What a waste of a good boat.

Captain Ron
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook