SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

The Cal is nothing but fun

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  puddinlegs 
#1 · (Edited)

The Cal is exceeding all of are expectations from taking out my 7 and 10 year old niece and nephew and feeling safe about it to being able to run a full main and 100% jib in 20 knot gusts and crack 7.2 knots and stay DRY

Its is really great having a boat my guests feel safe on as most hated sailing on the J24 :D

See less See more
#5 ·
The 29, etc... are great boats. You just have to find the one that's in good condition and/or you can afford to bring up to your standards. They're out there for sure. A friend is currently circumnavigating in a 34'. The 40 is one of the greatest fiberglass classics around.

#6 · (Edited)
We went out on a Cal 29 last evening. Had the mast at about 45 degrees, washing the port side ports for most of the evening (well, pretty close anyway). I'm exhausted, and can't wait to do her again, maybe tomorrow. Very impressive boat.

Tonight we sail my 23 footer, most likely with a reef in mainsail before we even leave the dock.

#7 ·
We went out on a Cal 29 last evening. Had the mast at about 45 degrees, washing the port side ports for most of the evening (well, pretty close anyway). I'm exhausted, and can't wait to do her again, maybe tomorrow. Very impressive boat.
It sounds fun, but you're overpowered. Re-trim for heavier air or shorten sail. You're boat will sail faster with much less leeway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.