SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing clubs?
Thread: Sailing clubs?
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2011
Battered and Bruised

Silvio is on a distinguished road
Yup!
My wife and I took a basic keel boat lesson, ASA 101, and then joined the club at the school. We paid a small initiation fee, $400 or there abouts, and then $99 a month. Had unlimited use of the school boats 25ft or less and got a greatly reduced rate on the larger boats (never did rent a larger one).

The ease of the club and the ability to sail on short notice encouraged us to get out more often than I believe we would have otherwise. We managed to sail typically once a week for four hours or so at a time and learned a lot. The club organised an event each month, typically a scavenger hunt, race around the bouys, BBQ on a beach a short sail away, etc.
Good times, good value, and great way to get sailing!
We looked at clubs in the area we are moving to but decided it was the right time to buy our own boat. No regrets with either decision.

Best of luck to you and enjoy the sailing out there!

PS
You are right, it is not as much of a buyer's market as many news sources would suggest. I suspect prices are more accurately re-setting from an artificial inflation. Many folks are in a position like myself and sitting on multiple properties waiting for the craziness to settle down before even considering selling. No need to take a loss selling a perfectly rentable house when renting allows us to wait out the market, keep tax advantages, and still pay down the mortgage.
Good luck house hunting.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook