SailNet Community - View Single Post - What to do with bilge water?
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2011
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
I'm with Knotty about this. If you use oil absorbent pads to soak up ALL the oil on the bilge water, what is left is going to be just water. If you take that water and pour it thru a clean oil absorbent pad what goes thru will be just water. The last time I checked with the reality police it was OK to dump WATER, on the ground. I'm sure if you called the local TV station and informed them of what you were doing some government agency would find something they could fine you for, so don't call them. Oh, and those "Waste Oil" tanks at marinas are just for WASTE OIL. No oily bilge water, no antifreeze, nothing but OIL. If you dump bilge water in the tank or anything except oil, the marina will have to pay hazardous waste disposal fees to get rid of it instead of the oil recycler taking it away for free. If this happens too often, guess what happens, the waste oil tank disappears and then people dispose of waste oil the old fashioned way, they dump it where they don't think anyone will see them (usually a storm drain that goes directly to a water way).

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook