SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing from Neah Bay to San Francisco
View Single Post
  #4  
Old 07-12-2011
serenity440's Avatar
serenity440 serenity440 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 19
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
serenity440 is on a distinguished road
I made the trip last Sept. 2010. I took on 2 crew and we took an offshore route that took us between 40-70 NM out. We had planned to go the entire way but a storm we anticipated did not let up by the time we reached it so we put into Eureka for an evening and set sail again the next morning. We planned for 8 days from Seattle and did it in 10.

We had winds from the NW most of the way though we did have to motor some. The following sea gave us a nice push down as well. On my Beneteau 440 we only used the 110 jib the entire way. It made life easy not having to deal with the main. We surfed up to about 16 kts at times.

I personally do not think going more than 60 NM out gains anything. We saw almost zero traffic, maybe 6 boats total. We were well outside of the crabbing and saw no major hazards. We had a few whale sightings and plenty of dolphins surfing our wake.

We did have to cross the bar at Eureka in 35+ kt winds and thankfully had the CG guide us through. I would not have wanted to do it without their assistance and I agree with the advice above, I would only consider a stop into these ports out of absolute necessity. Otherwise, just stay offshore and enjoy the ride. It is amazing out there! Closes I have felt to nature in a long time.

3 people turned out to be a good number on board and we had a nice rotation with plenty of sleep. We were worried about long watches at night so we made those smaller than our day watches. This helped, but I can also honestly say the night watches were always be best. It is just you and the sea and it give you a great time to reflect on what you are doing.

I have much of the weather forecast information you will need if you are interested...Also you can see our actual course here: Serenity Experience's Photos - Wall Photos | Facebook

It is a pretty serious voyage so I would take is serious and prepare as best you can. Know your weather window and I would not go much later than Sept. as the conditions get more severe and unpredictable. I am happy to help where I can. It is a great sail as long as you are prepared and even more importantly, ready to adapt to the conditions that you actually see rather than predicted.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook