SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bristol 29.9
Thread: Bristol 29.9
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2011

Tempest is on a distinguished road
I owned a 29.9 for about 9 years, ( centerboard, Atomic 4, wheel converstion, dinette model),

I would consider it a great coastal cruiser. It was perfect for me, on the east coast of the US with some of the shallow bays and inlets. It was very sturdy and would handle a blow. It took a reef early, but once reefed had a very solid feel.

For extended offshore travel I would think that you'd have to overcome a few factors.
Tankage for both water and fuel was pretty limited ( I don't remember the exact capacities)
The standard electrical system was very basic by todays standards. When I purchased the boat the PO had added things like, auto-pilot, loran, depth, electro-san head..VHF, radio etc, and ran them all directly from the batteries. I had a new electrical panel built and ran all these accesories to the panel.

here's a Jack Horner Review. BoatUS.com: Boat Reviews by Jack Hornor, N.A. - Bristol 29.9

It doesn't really answer your question. I agree with the Stand-up to a blow comment. I also never felt that it was sluggish..I had a very early unreliable, 150 roller furling and took it off the furler and had a sail loft put hanks on, preferring to hank on my sails at the time. More often than not, the 110 was plenty of sail to keep her moving.

Last edited by Tempest; 07-13-2011 at 08:23 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook