SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing clubs?
Thread: Sailing clubs?
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2011

rorider is on a distinguished road
Island Sailing Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefrrr View Post
So... in my searches for sailing classes in my area, I came across a sailing club, Island Sailing Club with locations in Olympia, Kirkland, and Portland, OR. It looks attractive, because we're still renting after our move here last year (buyer's market my @ss).

Figuring out the cost of joining, monthly dues, the basic and coastal cruising courses for my SO and I, I'm looking at about $3500 for the first 12 months. This seems pretty reasonable for unlimited access to a fleet of 7 older but maintained boats, 4 of which were available on the perfect Sunday we visited. Plus 1 which would be available after completion of a third course, but I don't see us getting that far in one year.

Has anyone here been a member of a club like this?
Advantages?
Disadvantages?
Thoughts?
I'm familiar with ISC, they are a good outfit with locations in Portland, OR, Olympia, WA, and Kirkland, WA.
The boats they have available are well kept, and while there isn't a huge selection, it is more than adequate for beginning sailors.
Getting a boat is usually no problem (if you don't count July 4th weekend), make your reservation and go. Even at the last minute there are usually boats available for use, although it might be a Santana 20 rather than the 24.
I firmly believe that you will get your money's worth from joining IF you make the commitment to sail as often as you can, a minimum of once/week, and take the time to put into practice what they taught you in class. Their classes are well taught and worth the money, IMO, so start with ASA 101 and then sail, a lot.

If you want further info just drop me a note, I'm in the area and my wife and I have taken their ASA 101 class. My boat is nearby ISC and I see they have boats you could use on short notice almost all the time.

I'm glad to help.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook