SailNet Community - View Single Post - How should you run the engine?
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2011
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
How should you run the engine?

Here's a question: I know that all marine diesels need to be run at least every two weeks to (a) minimise the risk of seawater corrosion in the cooling passages and (b) top off the staring batteries. I've also heard that running a marine diesel off-load for long periods of time can coke up the cylinders reducing it's life, so:

Assuming a boat is sitting on it's mooring over a long period of time and never used, ideally, to get the longest life out of engine and batteries, assuming the engine is run at least every 2 weeks, for how long should you run the engine each time, at what load and at what speed??

Idle? Above Idle? In gear? Out of gear??

No-one I've spoken to seems to really, definitively, know the answer to this, and yet hopefully there are some diesel experts around here who know the answer. Let's hear it.

Last edited by Classic30; 07-13-2011 at 08:56 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook